There are several places where you need to input the reference to a certain Bible passage, for example, when you run Advanced query or press Refer button. In practice, the reference styles differ significantly. In order to make the site more lightweight, we had to keep to one reference style. To get the best results, users shall understand it and use everywhere within the site.
To refer to a verse we'll use the common BCV approach:
- B — Name of a book, abbreviated as per Book index (three symbols everywhere)
- C — Chapter number within the book
- V — Verse number within the chapter
Referring a single passage
- B C:V The abbreviated book name goes first, separated by space from the chapter number. The verse number follows the chapter number, separated by colon. Without a verse number the whole chapter will be referred.
- Gen 2:12
- Rom 5:11
- 1Ki 3
Referring a continuous range of passages
- B C:Vstart-Vend As the above, but you can specify the start and the end verse number for desired range.
- Gen 2:12-15
- Rom 5:11-21
Referring a series of single or continuous passages
Use the formulas as above, separating array elements by semicolon.
- Gen 2:12; Gen 2:14-18; Rom 5:11; 1Ki 3:4-8
Bad reference styles will include:
- Gen 1-3
- Gen 2:4,5,6,7,4:15
Correct reference style for the same occasions will be:
- -- Not applicable
- Gen 1; Gen 2; Gen 3
- Gen 2:4-7; Gen 4:15
Inline verse citation
You can use a piece of code and the BCV data to create an inline citation of a verse or a continuous passage of verses.
Result: Genesis 5:20-24KJV
20 And all the days of Jared were nine hundred sixty and two years: and he died. 21 And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah: 22 And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: 23 And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years: 24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
Hover over the result link to see a fancy popup with your citation. Link itself will query the citation and the link with the verse number in the popup body will lead you to the verse page.